Abby Li's Dad

For almost six years (1996 to 2002), I sent out a weekly email to my friends. This blog serves as an archive for those emails. The entries starting in May 2006 are my personal reflections on life as a father to Abby, a husband to Melissa, and everything else.

Sunday, March 10, 2002

March 10, 2002: Academic Phrases, Golden Rule

Hi,

This weekend was very windy and cold here in Cleveland, so I spent most of
my time at home. The Director of Finance at Avery Dennison Singapore gave
me two books as a going away present. I started reading one of them this
weekend, and it is quite good. The book is "Be a People Person: Effective
Leadership Through Interpersonal Relationships", by John C. Maxwell. Dr.
Maxwell is a pastor, and leading author and speaker on leadership. He has
written several books on leadership, including "Becoming a Person of
Influence". This week, I'm going to use one of the passages from this book
as the inspirational piece.

Thanks to those of you who sent me suggestions for wedding banquet games.
I look forward to going back to LA this coming weekend. See you then!

This week's thought provoking question: "If you just learned that you had
exactly one year to live, what would you do with your remaining time?"

This week's humor piece was forwarded from Reiko Muto.

Enjoy!

-Josh.
_________________________________

Academic Phrases and Meanings

The following list of phrases and their definitions might help you
understand the mysterious language of science and medicine. These special
phrases are also applicable to anyone working on a Ph.D. dissertation or
academic paper anywhere!

"It has long been known"... I didn't look up the original reference.

"A definite trend is evident"... These data are practically meaningless.

"While it has not been possible to provide definite answers to the
questions"... An unsuccessful experiment, but I still hope to get it
published.

"Three of the samples were chosen for detailed study"... The other results
didn't make any sense.

"Typical results are shown"... This is the prettiest graph.

"These results will be in a subsequent report"... I might get around to
this sometime, if pushed/funded.

"In my experience"... once

"In case after case"... twice

"In a series of cases"... thrice

"It is believed that"... I think.

"It is generally believed that"... A couple of others think so, too.

"Correct within an order of magnitude"... Wrong.

"According to statistical analysis"... Rumor has it.

"A statistically oriented projection of the significance of these
findings"... A wild guess.

"A careful analysis of obtainable data"... Three pages of notes were
obliterated when I knocked over a glass of pop.

"It is clear that much additional work will be required before a complete
understanding of this phenomenon occurs"... I don't understand it.

"After additional study by my colleagues"... They don't understand it
either.

"Thanks are due to Joe Blotz for assistance with the experiment and to
Cindy Adams for valuable discussions"... Mr. Blotz did the work and Ms.
Adams explained to me what it meant.

"A highly significant area for exploratory study"... A totally useless
topic selected by my committee.

"It is hoped that this study will stimulate further investigation in this
field"... I quit.
_________________________________

The Golden Rule (by John C. Maxwell)

What's the key to relating to others? It's putting yourself in someone
else's place instead of putting them in their place. Christ gave the
perfect rule for establishing quality human relationships. We call it the
Golden Rule, a name it got sometime around the seventeenth century. Near
the end of the Sermon on the Mount, Christ summed up a series of profound
thoughts on human conduct by saying, "Therefore whatever you want others to
do for you, do so for them" (Matt. 7:12).

In this brief command, Christ taught us a couple of things about developing
relationships with others. We need to decide how we want to be treated.
Then we need to begin treating others in that manner.

Recently I took my daughter Elizabeth out to a restaurant for lunch. The
waitress whose job it was to take care of people, made us feel that we were
really inconveniencing her. She was grumpy, negative, and unhelpful. All
of her customers were aware of the fact that she was having a bad day.
Elizabeth looked up at me and said, "Dad, she's a grump, isn't she?" I
could only agree with her. Everything we asked of the waitress was met
with a look of disdain.

Halfway through our experience I tried to change this lady's negative
attitude. Pulling out a $10 bill I said, "Could you do me a favor? I'd
like some change for this $10 bill, because I want to give you a good tip
today." She looked at me, did a double take, and then ran to the cash
register. After changing the money, she spent the next fifteen minutes
hovering over us. I thanked her for her service, told her how important
and helpful she was, and left a good tip.

As we left, Elizabeth said, "Daddy, did you se how that lady changed?"

Seizing this golden opportunity I said, "Elizabeth, if you want people to
act right toward you, you act right toward them. Any many times you'll
change them".

Elizabeth will never forget that lesson because she had seen a noticeable
change take place right before her eyes. That grumpy lady didn't deserve
to be treated kindly. But when she was treated not as she was, but as I
wanted her to be and believed she could become, her perspective suddenly
changed.

Whatever your position in a relationship, if you are aware of a problem,
it's your responsibility to make a concerted effort to create a positive
change. Quit pointing your finger and making excuses, and try being a
catalyst by demonstrating and initiating the appropriate behavior.
Determine not to be a reactor but an initiator.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home