Abby Li's Dad

For almost six years (1996 to 2002), I sent out a weekly email to my friends. This blog serves as an archive for those emails. The entries starting in May 2006 are my personal reflections on life as a father to Abby, a husband to Melissa, and everything else.

Sunday, September 01, 2002

September 1, 2002: Driving Nuns, The A - Z of Friendship

Hi,

I hope your Labor Day weekend went well. Last weekend, I went to Boston
for my ex-roommate Richard Sahara's wedding to Lydia Ong. It was a
beautiful wedding and reception. I also really enjoyed catching up with so
many different people. Here are some digital pictures taken by Steve Lee
and Ruth Chu:

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=7037061603.82671426503&n=1758821008

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=713517902.42604945503&n=598403025

My friends Horace and Vivian Ling have an adorable son Matthias. They
usually live in Beijing. It just so happens that Vivian works for Timken,
a company based in Canton, Ohio. Well, when I was flying from Cleveland to
Boston, Vivian was on my flight. What a coincidence! Vivian told me some
really funny stories about life in Beijing, and about their son.

After church on Sunday, a group of us went to lunch to celebrate Monica
Chan (nee Quock)'s birthday. Monica married Stephan Chan earlier this
summer. Ruth Chu also took pictures. Horace, Vivian and Matthias are in
some of the pictures.

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=713517902.33079195503&n=444735146

On 9/11, I'll be flying to Chicago to attend Label Expo, the dominant trade
show for the label industry. I fly back on 9/12. I think it should be
quite safe, but please pray for everyone's safety that day.

This week's thought provoking question is, "How has your life changed
personally since 9/11?"

My friend Anna Man wins the prize for sending me the most humor and
inspirational pieces. We were in the same bible study and music team at
BCEC. She sang a beautiful song at Richard and Lydia's wedding. In the
wedding photo albums above, Anna and I are in a picture together. This
week, both the humor and inspirational pieces were forwarded by Anna.

Enjoy!

-Josh.
_________________________________

Driving Nuns

A police officer had just pulled over a car full of nuns for going too slow
on a major highway. The conversation went like this:

Police officer: "Why were you driving so slowly?"

Nun driver: "I kept seeing all these signs with the number 20 on them and
figured that was the speed limit."

Police officer: "No, Sister, that is the highway number."

Nun: "Oh, I'm so sorry, Officer, I didn't know that."

Then the police officer looks into the back seat and sees that the nuns
there have panic-stricken faces and white knuckles from holding on to each
other too tightly.

Police officer: "What's wrong with the nuns in the back seat?"

Nun: "Oh, we just got off Highway 101 a few miles ago."
_________________________________

The A - Z of Friendship

A Friend....

(A)ccepts you as you are
(B)elieves in "you"
(C)alls you just to say "HI"
(D)oesn't give up on you
(E)nvisions the whole of you (even the unfinished parts)
(F)orgives your mistakes
(G)ives unconditionally
(H)elps you
(I)nvites you over
(J)ust "be" with you
(K)eeps you close at heart
(L)oves you for who you are
(M)akes a difference in your life
(N)ever Judges
(O)ffers support
(P)icks you up
(Q)uiets your fears
(R)aises your spirits
(S)ays nice things about you
(T)ells you the truth when you need to hear it
(U)nderstands you
(V)alues you
(W)alks beside you
(X)-plain things you don't understand
(Y)ells when you won't listen and
(Z)aps you back to reality

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home