Abby Li's Dad

For almost six years (1996 to 2002), I sent out a weekly email to my friends. This blog serves as an archive for those emails. The entries starting in May 2006 are my personal reflections on life as a father to Abby, a husband to Melissa, and everything else.

Sunday, May 05, 2002

May 5, 2002: Guard Dog, The Cross

Hi,

Like millions of people (perhaps you too), I watched "Spiderman" this
weekend. I must say that I enjoyed it quite a bit. It has a good story,
funny lines, and good special effects. I think Tobey Maguire was a good
choice to play the role. I also enjoyed recognizing a few of the street
scenes that were shot at Columbia U and in Queens. There is one particular
scene that I'm sure was filmed on Austin street in Forest Hills, miles away
from the Woodside neighborhood that the movie is supposed to take place.

Also in the movie, I don't know whether the Osborn penthouse mansion is
really located somewhere in Manhattan, or just a computer generated
picture. If you know the answer to that, please let me know.

This week's thought provoking question: "If you were to be a news
correspondent posted to any foreign country, where would you like to go?"

This week's humor and inspirational pieces were forwarded from Anna Man and
Patty Oey.

Enjoy!

-Josh.
_________________________________

He Really IS a Guard Dog

In a town filled with crime, a young married couple was worried after 3 of
their neighbors had been burgled.

They decided they should get a guard dog.

The wife went to the local pet store and asked the assistant, "Do you have
any guard dogs?"

The sales assistant replied,
"Sorry Mam, we're all sold out. All we have left is a Scottie Dog... but
he does know Karate."

The wife didn't believe him, so the clerk says to the dog: "Karate the
chair."

The wee dog then goes up to the chair and whack, he breaks it into tiny
pieces.

Then he said to the dog: "Karate that table."

The dog went up to the table and crunch, he breaks it in half.

So the wife bought the dog and took it home to her husband who was
expecting a big guard dog.

He was of course very disappointed and skeptical about this little Dog's
abilities as a guard dog.

When she informed him that the dog knew Karate, he laughed and said:

"Karate my a$$!".

And to this very day the husband is still in intensive care.
_________________________________

THE CROSS

A young man was at the end of his rope, seeing no way out, dropped to his
knees in prayer.
"Lord, I can't go on," he said.
"I have too heavy of a cross to bear."
The Lord replied, "My son, if you can't bear its weight, just place your
cross inside this room.
Then, open that other door and pick out any cross you wish."
The man was filled with relief said, "Thank you, Lord," and he did as he
was told.

Upon entering the other door, he saw many crosses, some so large the tops
were not visible. Then, he spotted a tiny cross leaning against a far wall.

"I'd like that one, Lord," he whispered. And the Lord replied,
"My son, that is the cross you just brought in."

When life's problems seem overwhelming, it helps to look around and see
what other people are coping with. You may consider yourself far more
fortunate than you imagined.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home