Abby Li's Dad

For almost six years (1996 to 2002), I sent out a weekly email to my friends. This blog serves as an archive for those emails. The entries starting in May 2006 are my personal reflections on life as a father to Abby, a husband to Melissa, and everything else.

Sunday, June 23, 2002

June 23, 2002: Age Attention Disorder

Hi,

How was your weekend? This weekend was fairly low-key. We watched
"Minority Report", ate out, exercised, went shopping, went to church, and
walked around a nearby park. Speaking of "Minority Report", I would highly
recommend it. It's quite a bit more thought provoking than the typical
Hollywood summer blockbuster.

One of our favorite restaurants is "Tay-Do", which is a Vietnamese-Chinese
restaurant. In addition to the typical beef pho soup noodles, what we
really like is their Vietnamese crepes. I've had dinner at many Vietnamese
restaurants in Boston and LA, but I have never had this chef's special dish
until I came to Cleveland. How bizarre!

Melissa is returning to Singapore tomorrow morning. Since my plant is shut
down over the week of July 4th, I'm taking a week off and going to
Singapore for a week as well. We will spend some time hanging out with
Melissa's relatives and our friends from church in Singapore and other
friends.

This week's thought provoking question is inspired by "Minority Report":
"If there is a device that can record your dreams and allow you to play
them back, would you want to use it?"

This week's humor piece was forwarded from Susan Hasegawa.

Enjoy!

-Josh.
_________________________________

Age Attention Disorder

I have recently been diagnosed with AAADD: Age Activated Attention Deficit
Disorder

This is how it goes . . .

I decide to clean off the front patio. I start to the patio and notice mail
on the desk that needs to be taken down to the Post Office.
OK, I'm going to the Post Office . . .

BUT FIRST I'm going to go through the mail that was delivered. I lay the
car keys down on desk. After discarding the junk mail, I notice the trash
can is full.
OK, I'll just put the bills on my desk . . .

BUT FIRST I'll take the trash out. But since I'm going to be near the
mailbox, I'll address a few bills . . . Yes, Now where is the checkbook?
Oops.. there's only one check left. Where did I put the extra checks?
Oh, there is my empty coffee cup from last night on my desk. I'm going to
look for those checks . . .

BUT FIRST I need to put the cup back in the kitchen. I start to head for
the kitchen and look out at my balcony, notice the flowers need a drink of
water because of the extreme heat. I put the cup on the counter and there's
my extra pair of glasses on the kitchen counter.

What are they doing here? I'll just put them away. . .

BUT FIRST need to water those plants. I head for the door and . . .
Aaaagh!!! Someone left the TV remote on the wrong spot. Okay, I'll put the
remote away and water the plants on my balcony. . .

BUT FIRST I need to find those checks.

END OF DAY: The patio has not been cleaned, bills still unpaid, cup still
on the counter, checkbook still has only one check left, lost my car keys .
. .

And, when I try to figure out how come nothing got done today, I'm baffled
because . . .

I KNOW I WAS BUSY ALL DAY!

I realize this condition is serious . . .

I'd get help . . .

BUT FIRST . . . I think I'll check my e-mail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home